>   종무행정   >   계간지   >   최근호및지난호

최근호및지난호

영국보살님

페이지 정보

작성자 Daphne Hall 작성일06-11-23 16:34 조회3,105회 댓글0건

본문

영국보살님
글·Daphne Hall

Hi. My name is Daphne and I was born in England 38 years ago. My parents went to the village Church and took us with them when we were young. As I grew older I moved away from Christianity and was open to explore other faiths and ways of being, not necessarily formalized religion. The exploration continues.
Working in Marketing and Communication was my passport to living in Russia, Romania, Netherlands, Austria, USA and Switzerland. Living abroad alone challenged me in many ways. The relationship I had with each country made a special contribution to chipping away what was not needed and nurturing what was. Experiencing the challenging times has allowed me to grow and to discover greater strength and light within.
In Austria I experienced some immensely dark times, which forced me to look deeper within. I recognized that the dislike and hatred (strong feelings and judgments) that I had towards myself, my work, the people and the country were responsible for this experience. With this insight my way of being and consequently my experience transformed itself rapidly. I am thankful to have experienced this dark time.
WHY KOREA?
I had been working as a Strategic Development Director for a Media Agency across Europe, Africa and Middle East for about 18 months. The job in essence was about understanding how best to communicate with people to encourage them to buy more and become more loyal to specific brands. I knew that this job was no longer deeply fulfilling for me and not ecological for people.
I felt a longing for adventure and to travel deeper within to realize my true nature, to go home. This wish was not new but the resonance was suddenly very different. A cave in Tibet was an image that came to mind frequently and was often vocalized to colleagues as where I would be soon
After attending a weekend seminar on Sufism at a holistic center in the USA I participated in a meditation class given by a Korean lady. The clarity that this session gave me was that my mind was everything but still!! It was occupied with planning, judging, observing or sometimes all of them simultaneously it seemed. I returned to Switzerland inspired and intensified my meditation practice mainly working with counting and then breathing.
Over Christmas and New Year the travel idea suddenly crystallized and I found myself telling my family and close friends how I would travel to Korea, then into China and Tibet, as though this had been planned for a long time ? perhaps it had!
The Korean lady whom I met in the USA introduced me to Chooksersa a week after arriving in Korea. I met the Zen Master on the first day and there was for me ultimate clarity and simplicity to the meditation instruction he gave me and no doubt that Hwadu would become the new focus for me allowing me to travel deeper within.

REVEALING THE TRUE NATURE WITHIN
It was important that the experience of Hwadu would become a way of being for me, not simply a sitting meditation practice. Making every moment a moment of meditation has been my quest whilst here, integrating Hwadu into whatever I do. Sweeping, washing the dishes, prostrations or sleeping all became opportunities for me to pose the question and search deep within for the answer. Through this process I have experienced a range of emotions letting themselves go as well as pain that has moved through the body and released itself or is in the process of doing so. I find myself when challenged in any way coming back Hwadu ? it is as if anything else is simply not important in comparison.
I will continue my travels in the internal and external sense moving to the Indian Himalayas. My three months at Chooksersa has given much internal strength which allows me to be rooted wherever I am and still be sensitive. From deep within my heart I thank you all for being part of this rich experience inspiring me to reveal a little bit more of the true nature that is within.

안녕하세요, 저는 영국에서 온 대프니라고 합니다. 미혼입니다. 가족들과 함께 교외에서 자라났습니다. 저는 어릴 적 부모님 및 오빠들과 함께 마을에 있는 교회에 다녔던 기억이 납니다. 하지만 성장하면서 기독교에서 점차 멀어지기 시작했고 다른 믿음과 존재 방식에 대해 눈을 뜨기 시작했고 꼭 정형화된 종교이어야 할 필요는 없다고 생각했습니다.
마케팅·커뮤니케이션 분야에서 일을 하면서 러시아, 오스트리아, 미국, 스위스 등지에서 거주했습니다. 타국 생활은 여러 면에서 녹록치 않았지만 각국에서의 경험을 통해 불필요한 것은 떨구어내고 필요한 것은 키워나갔습니다. 이런 도전의 시간은 저를 성장케 하고 내부에 있는 힘과 빛을 발견하도록 해주었습니다.
오스트리아에서 보낸 시간은 아주 음울했지만, 그로 인해 내면을 깊이 들여다 볼 수 있게 되었고 제 자신·일·사람들에 대한 싫어하는 감정이나 증오가 원인이었다는 것을 깨닫게 되었습니다. 이러한 자아통찰을 통해 다른 경험을 하게 되었습니다. 이 어두운 시간에 감사합니다.

왜 한국이었는 가?
저는 약 18개월 동안 유럽, 아프리카, 중동 지역을 대상으로 하는 광고회사에서 전략개발 책임자로 일했습니다. 제 업무는 본질적으로 고객의 구매욕구를 부추기거나 특정 브랜드를 지속적으로 구매할 수 있도록 하는 것이었습니다. 그 일은 더 이상 내게 성취감을 줄 수도 없고 사람들에게도 생태학적이지 않다는 것을 알게 되었습니다.
저에게는 언제나 모험하고 싶다는 마음이 간절했습니다. 참나를 찾고 싶었고 마음의 고향에 가고 싶었습니다. 이런 바람은 어느 순간 다른 모습으로 새삼스레 제 마음 속에 울려 퍼지게 되었습니다. 머리 속으로 종종 티벳의 동굴을 떠올렸고 동료들에게는 조만간 그 곳에 가게 될 것이라고 말하곤 했습니다.
한번은 미국의 한 홀리스틱 센터(holistic center)에서 열린 수피즘에 관한 주말 세미나를 참석할 기회가 있었습니다. 세미나가 끝나고 한국 여자분의 지도하에 명상 시간을 가지게 되었습니다. 저는 이 명상 시간 동안 제 마음은 고요하다는 것을 명확히 알게 되었습니다. 마음은 원래 고요한데 계획, 판단, 관찰 (때로는 동시다발적으로) 등으로 가득 차 있던 것입니다. 한껏 고무되어 스위스에 돌아온 저는 좀더 수행에 매진하게 되었습니다.
이번 여정에 대한 생각이 갑자기 선명해진 것은 크리스마스와 새해 무렵이었습니다. 어느 순간 저는 가족들과 친한 친구들에게 한국, 중국을 거쳐 티벳으로 여행할 것이라고 말하고 있는 제 자신을 발견했습니다. 마치 오랫동안 계획해 온 것처럼 말입니다.
그렇게 한국에 오게 되었습니다. 미국 세미나에서 만났던 한국 여자분은 한국에 도착한 지 일주일 후 나를 축서사로 안내했습니다. 도착한 당일, 저는 큰스님을 친견하였고 큰스님께서 알려 주신 명상법은 실로 단순, 명료하였습니다. 화두참구법을 통해 내면을 깊이 성찰 할 수 있을 것이라는 사실에 의심의 여지가 없었습니다.
참나가 드러나다
제게 화두를 드는 것은 좌선수행만을 뜻하지는 않습니다. 화두는 저의 일부가 되었고 이곳에 머무는 동안 항상 화두를 놓치지 않으려고 노력했습니다. 비질할 때도, 설거지할 때도, 절을 할 때도, 심지어 잘 때도 화두에 집중하여 답을 찾고자 했습니다. 이러한 과정을 통해 다양한 감정을 경험했고 그 감정으로 내려놓았습니다. 내 몸에 전반적으로 나타나는 신체적 고통도 내려놓았습니다. 어떤 문제점이 생기든 화두로 돌아왔습니다. 그 어떤 것도 화두만큼 중요하지는 않았습니다.
저는 나에게로의 여행을 계속하면서 인도 히말라야에 갈 계획입니다. 축서사에서 보낸 지난 3개월 동안, 저는 여전히 예민하지만, 어디에 있더라도 뿌리를 잘 내릴 수 있는 내적 힘을 길렀습니다. 참나를 발견하도록 값진 자극을 주신 여러분들 모두에게 진심으로 감사의 말씀 드립니다.
Daphne Hall

이 글은 영국에서 온 대프니 홀(Daphne Hall)양(38)의 축서사 수행기를 정리한 것입니다.
대프니 홀 양은 지난 10월 27일까지 축서사에서 3개월간의 참선수련을 마치고 인도 히말라야 서부, 카일라스 계곡에 위치한 라다크를 향해 떠났습니다. 낯선 환경과 언어장벽을 겸손함과 성실함으로 극복했던 대프니 홀, 영국보살님의 구도여행에 불보살님의 가피가 항상 함께 하길 기원합니다.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.